Carrot and Spinach Quiche recipe
Ingredients – Crust
- 1 & 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- A pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup canola or olive oil
- 1/4 cup low fat plain yogurt
Ingredients – Filling
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 500 gms frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 1/2 cup Rugani carrots, shredded
- 2 cups Monterey Jack cheese, grated (Can substitute with extra mature cheddar)
- 6 eggs, lightly whisked
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed chilli flakes
- A pinch of ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius
Place flour, salt and diced butter into a food processor. Pulse to combine. Add the yogurt and oil to the mixture. Pulse just until the dough starts to come together (it will be crumbly) Coat a 9-10 inch tart pan with cooking spray.
Transfer the dough to the prepared pan, spread evenly and press firmly into the bottom to form a crust.
Place the crust into pre-heated oven and bake for about 15 minutes.
It should set but not turn brown. Remove from the oven once cooked and allow to cool.
Heat the oil in a large skillet. Cook onions over a medium heat until they are soft.
Add the garlic, spinach and carrots. Cook until the spinach liquid has evaporated Remove from the heat.
TIP: To check if your quiche is ready – insert a toothpick or knife into the centre and it will come out clean.
Fold in the cheese and eggs. Season with chilli flakes, nutmeg, salt and pepper Place the mixture on top of pie crust.
Bake in the oven for 30 minutes.