Carrot Tarragon Tart recipe
Ingredients – Crust
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 & 1/2 teaspoons fresh tarragon leaves or 1/2 teaspoon dried A pinch of salt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil (Can substitute with Canola oil, if desired)
- 1/4 cup low-fat plain yogurt
Ingredients – Filling
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or canola oil
- 1 cup red onion, finely sliced
- 1 & 1/2 cups Rugani carrots, grated
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar, divided
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard (Substitute with Dijonnaise, for a lighter flavour)
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup low-fat plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup low-fat milk
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh tarragon or 3/4 teaspoons dried A pinch of salt and pepper
Prepare the crust
Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees Celsius
Coat a 9 – 10 inch tart pan with cooking spray.
Place all-purpose flour and whole-wheat flour, tarragon and salt into a food processor, pulse to combine. Add one piece of butter at a time and pulse after each addition. Keep pulsing until all the butter has been added.
Add 1/4 cup oil and 1/4 yogurt.
Pulse until the dough starts to come together.
Transfer the dough to the pan and press it firmly into the bottom and all the way up the sides to form a crust.
Bake the crust until it has set but not browned (approximately 15 minutes)
Prepare the filling
Heat the oil in a large frying pan. Add the onion and cook over a medium heat until they are soft. Stir in carrots and rice vinegar.
Continue to cook, stirring for 2 minutes.
Remove from the heat.
Spread mustard over the crust. Sprinkle with cheese, then evenly spread the carrot mixture on top.
Whisk yogurt, milk, eggs, tarragon and remaining tablespoon of rice vinegar in a medium bowl. Stir in salt and pepper. Pour mixture on top of the carrot mixture.
Return the tart to the oven and bake for approximately 40 minutes.
The filling should be firm and the edges will be golden brown. Leave to cool for 15 minutes before slicing.
Serve warm or chilled.